Jonkershoek near Stellenbosch
At 19h02 on Sunday the 16th of June 2019, the Winelands Wilderness Search And Rescue (WSAR) was activated after a caller reported that two hikers were overdue and lost after embarking on a walk in the Jonkershoek Nature Reserve.
Rescue Mountaineers, Logistical support, 4×4 crew as well as Cape Nature Rangers were dispatched by WSAR in order to locate the lost hikers. By 19h24 further information received indicated that the hikers were a 64 year old male resident from Stellenbosch and a 45 year old female visitor from the UK. It took a crew of four Rescue Mountaineers approximately two and a half hours of hiking to reach the lost party. On arrival, the stricken party was assessed and found to be dehydrated, fatigued and suffering from mild hypothermia. Once they were given warm clothes and sustenance, the long walk out to reach the jeep track commenced.
At 02h15 the following morning the Rescue Mountaineers and the extremely exhausted hikers were safely off the mountain. The party did not require any further attention and were well enough to depart using their own vehicle.
WSAR urges the public to please:-
- plan your intended route so that you are safely off the mountain before sunset
- carry a Slingsby map in your back pack
- always include extra rations such as energy bars and dried fruit
- inform someone competent of your planned route and your ETA off the mountain
- send a picture of your vehicle including the registration plate to this person as well for reference in case of emergency
WSAR is a volunteer based organisation.
Call 021 937 0300 or 112 for any wilderness or mountain rescue response.
In association with the Western Cape Emergency Medical Services.
WSAR is a member of the International Commission of Alpine Rescue.